ANALYSIS OF BIOSAFETY PROBLEMS AND SEARCH SOLUTIONS FOR THE ARMED FORCES OF UKRAINE IN MODERN CONDITIONS
Introduction. The issue of biological security is an important component of Ukraine’s national security because of political and economic instability, population migration, redeployment of troops, and the widespread use of advances of biotechnology. Due to mentioned circumstances, the subject of biosafety and biosecurity is a priority.
The purpose of the study is to identify ways to manage biosafety and biosecurity matters and measures to counteract the biological threats on the state institutional level.
Materials and methods. Policies and regulations on biosecurity and biosafety, WHO reports, analytical materials, and research publications on the topic of the work. The following methods are used: bibliosemantic, analytical, systematic approach.
Results. The real and potential threats to the national security of Ukraine are to be provided: the danger of bioterrorism, uncontrolled import of pathogens dangerous for people, animals, plants and organisms, inefficiency of measures to neutralize the negative effects of the hazardous activities, etc. It has been proven that the national biosafety system cannot include only healthcare facilities. It should be a permanent interinstitutional network in which medical, veterinary, and specialized scientific institutes are engaged. The creation of the concept and system of national biosafety is a prerequisite for the effective response to biological threats. For the period until year of 2025, the government of Ukraine has accepted the Strategy of biological safety and biological protection ensuring, based on the principle of Unified Health, and the action plan for its implementation. The proposed actions will increase the level of biosafety and biosecurity in Ukraine. The principal task is to harmonize Ukrainian legislation and international law in the field of the biosafety and biosecurity. It has been proposed to manage some events at the level of the state institutions. The most important events are the development of Ukrainian policies and regulatory documents in the field of biosafety; determination of the categorization of hazardous biological objects and inventorying activities; inclusion of the objects into the national registry; the foundation of the panel of biosafety experts and definition of the requirements for their competence and training for the needs of national security and defense forces; development and implementation of a mechanism for interaction and maintenance of constant readiness of the regional sanitary and epidemiological departments of the Preventive Medicine Service of the Ministry of Defense of Ukraine, which are involved in the emergency response system associated with biological
threats and the elimination of their health consequences; the organization and conduct of annual command and staff, and special exercises of the defense forces with accent on biological protection in case of emergency situation; development, improvement of training programs, and their implementation; training of medical professionals of various specializations on the topic of biological safety and biosecurity.
1. There is a necessity to develop and implement biosecurity and biosafety activities at all the levels, as well as coordination of the activities of all engaged parties.
2. It is necessary to improve the legislative system of Ukraine on biosafety and biosecurity by the way of implementation of international biosafety standards and harmonization the standards with national.
3. The implementation by the Ministry of Defense of Ukraine of an order of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine of the “Agreement between the Ministry of Health of Ukraine and the US Department of Defense regarding cooperation in the field of preventing the spread of technology, pathogens and knowledge that can be used to develop biological weapons” is going to increase the ability to detect and respond to outbreaks of the especially dangerous infections, in order to achieve European biosafety standards for work in laboratories, conduction of the joint research FIR work, training of professionals, etc.
2. Biobezpeka: prakt. poradnyk // V.M. Zaporozhan, M.I. Badiuk, M.A. Andreichin [ta in.]; za red. V.M. Zaporozhana, M.I. Badiuka. – Odesa: ONMedU, 2018. – 432 s.
3. Biolohichna bezpeka Ukrainy: monohrafiia / za zah.red. M.V. Velychka, R.H. Radchenka. – Kyiv: Nats. akad. SBU, 2016. – 784 s.
4. Konventsiia pro zaboronu rozrobky, vyrobnytstva i nakopychennia zapasiv bakteriolohichnoi ta toksychnoi zbroi i pro yikh znyshchennia (1972 r.) https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/ 995_182?lang=ru.
5. Konventsiia pro biolohichne riznomanittia (1992 r., Rio-de-Zhaneiro) http://bch.cbd.int/protocol/ background.
6. Kartakhenskyi protokol pro biobezpeku do Konventsii pro biolohichne riznomanittia (Monreal, 2000 r.) https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/995_935.
7. Institute of Medicine and National Research Council. 2006. Globalization, Biosecurity, and the Future of the Life Sciences. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press. https://doi.org/10.17226/ 11567
8. https://www.ghsindex.org/wp-content/ uploads/2019/10/2019-Global-Health-SecurityIndex.pdf .
9. Pro Osnovni zasady (stratehiiu) derzhavnoi ekolohichnoi polityky Ukrainy na period do 2030 roku // Vidomosti Verkhovnoi Rady Ukrainy vid 19.04.2019 — 2019 r., № 16, stor. 8, stattia 70.
10. Panchenko L.O. Emerdzhentni i reemerdzhentni virusni infektsii: hlobalna problema XXI - stolittia / L.O.Panchenko, S.I.Vasina, I.N.Zviaholska, N.H.Popova, Yu.V.Kopcha // Infektsiini khvoroby. – 2015. –№4 (82). – S.59-66.
11.Andreichyn M.A. Bioteroryzm: medychna protydiia / M.A. Andreichyn, V.S. Kopcha. – Ternopil: Ukrmedknyha, 2005. – 298 s.
12. Neporada V.P Shyroka tsilespriamovana epidemiolohichna pidhotovka naselennia Ukrainy – vazhlyvyi faktor shchodo posylennia biolohichnoi bezpeky / V.P.Neporada, V.V.Kononenko, A.Iu Volianskyi ta in. // Analy Mechnykovskoho instytutu. – 2008. – № 1. – S. 47-49.
13. Biodefense for the 21st Century. For Immediate Release, April 28, 2004. [Elektronnyi resurs]. – Rezhym dostupu: http:// www.whitehouse.gov/ homeland/20040430.html
14. Biological and Chemical Terrorism: Strategic Plan for Preparedness and Response. MMWR.Recommendation and Reporns. – 2000, April
21. –Vol. 49(RR04). – P.1-14. 15. Public Health Response to Biological and Chemical Weapons, WHO Guidance - Second Edition. 2004. – 357 r.
16. Zadorozhnaia V.I. Pytannia pobudovy systemy biobezpeky ta biozakhystu v Ukraini / V.I. Zadorozhnaia , V.R. Sha hinian / / Profilaktychna medytsyna. – 2017. – №1-2 (28).
17. World Health Organization. Laboratory biosafety manual. Third edition. Geneva, World Health Organization, 2004 (http://www.who.int/csr/ resources/ publications/biosafety/